- Note-Taking Infographic
- Three Popular Note-taking Methods for College
- A Short Note-taking Guide
- Bonus: Cornell Notes template
- What is a Cornell note-taking method?
- How to use Cornell notes?
- How to Download and Assemble the Cornell Notes template?
Effective note taking methods can **boost your grades**. You memorize the learning material better and retain it longer. Other benefits you can expect are:
- becoming an “active listener”;
- becoming an effective learner;
- getting a “storage” of information to use when preparing for an exam or writing an essay.
Three Popular Note-taking Methods for College
1. Outline method helps to structure the material, placing general information at the left, and specific facts and clarifications at the right. It is usually useful except for science classes, where a lot of formulas, graphs, or structures must be drawn.
2. Cornell method helps to condense and organize notes without laborious rewriting, by dividing the paper into specific sections.
3. Mapping method helps to represent information graphically so that you can see how various ideas and facts relate to each other. Visual learners find it very helpful.
See a detailed description of the methods in the infographic, try them out, and choose the note taking template that suits you.
A Short Note-taking Guide:
1. Read the relevant textbook sections before class
2. During class, be sure to write down all the important points
3. Review your notes afterward.
Good note taking skills will enable you to record the fastest lecturer. The next time you write assignments or prepare for exams, you have a great study tool to use.
Bonus: Cornell Notes template
Students who take effective notes get the most out of classes and lectures and clearly understand textbooks and assigned readings. There is a number of different ways to take notes, and everyone can use the method they feel most at ease with. For many learners, Cornell notes template is a favorite one.
What is a Cornell note-taking method?
It is a seven-step process that takes you through three main stages:
- 1. taking notes,
- 2. modifying the notes,
- 3. reviewing and studying from the notes.
How to use Cornell notes?
Measure about 2.5 inches from the page’s left side and draw a vertical line. This section will function as the cue column. 6.5 inch “main section” on the right is intended for making notes. Leave the 2-inch section on the bottom to summarize.
Printable Cornell notes templates are also called the R7 (Record, Recall, Reduce, Recapitulate, Recite, Review and Reflect).
Step 1: Record your notes in “main section” (during class)
Write down important information. Do not copy the material word for word: abbreviate, use shorthand symbols, concise sentences. Make headings to separate major ideas and keep your notes organized. Skip some lines between the points.
Step 2: Recall (after class)
Read the notes and fill in the gaps.
Step 3: Reduce (after class)
Fill in your left-hand column with keywords, phrases and questions that work as cues.
Step 4: Recapitulation (after class)
Summarize the main ideas in the bottom section. This shows how well you understand the information.
Step 5: Recite
Cover the classroom notes, read aloud the questions and keywords in the cue section, and answer or define them using your own words. Pull the paper down to check your accuracy.
Step 6: Review
Read over the “main section”, cover them with the card and answer the questions or keywords from the cue column. You will improve memorizing if you do it in a written form. Take the card away and see if your answer is right. Use this process to prepare for the assignments and tests.
Step 7: Reflect
Think about how the material you learned fit in with your own ideas.
To make things easier, you can take advantage of a printable DIY pdf version of Cornell notes (50 sheets).
How to Download and Assemble the Cornell Notes template?
Cornell notes template pdf (50 sheets) is provided to download by the link below. You can put the prints together in customizable multi-page notebooks for different subjects. Those who prefer typing on a laptop over handwritten notes can make use of Cornell notes pdf in their digital form.
There is no need to change the template before printing it out. You can just add the name of the subject.
Cornell method can be used in any note-taking situation. It is a “do-it-right-at-once” system that has no disadvantages.